28.10.10

Baby Update: First Trimester, Week Nine

A few of my younger friends from the art gallery turned me on to the idea of doing a few developmental updates do document the physicality of the pregnancy. They had done it for their pregnancies and now read back with amazement as to how much they've changed. So, I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

As of October 24th, I started my ninth week of pregnancy. According to WebMD, this week wee one is taking shape to soon become a fetus:
  • The little miracle is roughly one inch in height and like a strawberry in size.
  • The neck and limbs are becoming stronger, now with movement capabilities.
  • It still looks like an alien, but a cute alien.
  • Before the end of the first trimester, by week twelve, the alien will be more human like with all set features from reproductive organs to teeth. By then, the baby will be four inches long and carry a weight of a hefty one ounce.
From my own point of view, this week has been about:
  • More morning sickness than before, so not exactly a fun time.
  • My skinny jeans that were fitting great a month ago are now slowly tightening around me.
  • I've gained a total of one half pound, but even then I'm not sure if that's baby-related.
  • As of today, I've been craving mustard on Frito chips. It's not a healthy option, so I hope this passes.
  • A little bit of heartburn has bothered me late at night, but otherwise I'm good.
  • I've finally adjusted to my increased-in-number-for-number-one bathroom visits.
  • My moodiness has made my go from crying to singing in as little as two minutes. This has made the Pops a little unnerved, but he still helps me hug it out.
  • I've started reading What to Expect When You're Expecting simultaneously with What to Expect: Eating Well When You're Expecting, both by Heidi Murkoff.
  • We have an appointment with Dr. Sellers next week to have our first ultrasound, because the pregnancy is of high risk.
Other than that, Jeff and I have been discussing when to tell the boys. With Jasper now living in Dallas for his graphic design job and Hyde in Memphis working as an accountant, we've been able to keep this pregnancy under wraps from them despite our openness with our friends. So, we have to tell them soon. Maybe Thanksgiving will be the most appropriate time? We shall see. But, one thing is for certain: They will be the first of the family to know. My parents and Jeff's parents can wait until after that point. But, hey, if we reveal it at Thanksgiving, they should all be here!