3.4.11

Baby Update: Third Trimester, Week 33

I see now why they say the second trimester is the one in which the mother feels the best. I am starting to feel fatigued from the extra weight on my front side, but everyone talks about how I just glow. This I can believe: Between my acne and my smile, there is certainly something going on with my face.

This week with the baby:
  • She's pretty much fully developed with all organs matured except for lungs and brain. These last few weeks are crucial to continued growth in these areas.
  • She's been very active in the womb, so much so that her father has felt her kicking a few times.
  • She's even had hiccups!
  • Her weight is at about four pounds. 
This week for me:
  • I'm definitely fatigued, but am still going to yoga and swimming weekly to stay healthy.
  • I've been going to my classes and learning as much as I possible can. I'll soon be certified for doing CPR on infants!
  •  My cravings for Cheerios has subsided, and been replaced by a food aversion to blue Kool-Aid. I've nearly tossed my cookies when a few of my artist friends drank that stuff down during an art party.
  • I've contacted a babysitter to help me out after the baby is born on an as-needed basis. Her name is Rebecca Prince, and her hourly fee is $15. 
  • As previously mentioned, my hormonal craziness has brought on a bit of acne. So, not only do I feel like a whale, but I feel like an ugly whale. But, I just look at it as a humble sacrifice for my girl.
  • I'm starting to feel uncomfortable at night.
  • When I feel the baby kick, I can tell if it's an elbow or a knee. And, sometimes it's strong enough to make me hunch over.
  • She also likes to treat my bladder like a trampoline.
  • I've been surprised at the cost of doctors appointments: Every trip to Dr. Sellers, which will be like 15 or so total, cost $133 on average--tests included.
  • We've made a natural birth plan to try my hardest to reject pain medication while in the hospital, just as I did with my first two. 
  • I finished setting up the nursery, after making a few final purchases at ToysRUs.
 
I can't believe how fast this time has moved. This baby has been my own personal rebirth: Not only do I feel like a young mother again, only wiser, but I have a renewed vigor for learning and living in the present.

I look forward to raising this baby, like teaching her to paint her nails or ballet dance. I can't wait to put big bows in her hair and dress her in dresses. I even look forward to the day that I can teach her about sex, unlike my experience with my mother. And, though I will be in my fifties before she's even in high school, I have a feeling that this baby girl will keep me young.

This is something that French Polynesia could have never provided me.